Yard Throat Layout - Atlas #6 vs Micro Engineering #5 Yard Ladder System

So I used 3rd PlanIt to lay out my new yard either with #6 Atlas Custom Line turnouts or ME #5 Yard Ladder System turnouts.  As it turns out (haha), the ME yard ladder system reduced the yard throat by a whopping 38”!  This for 2 A/D tracks and 5 class tracks.  A whole lot of classification space can be had with an extra 3’.   So the question is if I am getting myself into trouble using the ME system.  I run mostly 50-60’ cars with occasional 75’; era 1980.  I have #6’s on the old part of my layout, and they work just fine.  But again, that extra yard capacity is sure tempting.  Thoughts?


Comments

  1. I'm torn. My old HO line used #6s, and I'm using #6s outside. They look great, no doubt. But definitely they eat up space. My On30 shelf layout uses ME #5s, and they've proven very reliable and smooth for me. My 25 - 30' cars in O scale are on par with your 40 - 60' cars in HO, and my locos are about the same size.

    Knowing how full your storage tracks have a tendency to get, I think I'd opt for the #5s. The extra capacity will be welcomed by your switch crews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is a significant amount of space. And the more I study it out, those ME #5 Yard System turnouts will do just fine. One of the guys on the layout design SIG pointed me to and MRH video on the ME #5 switches( start at 27:57 for ME):

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKwLEt29brg

      A 89' pig flat was run through a switch with no problems. Nice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Push-buttons for Turnout Control in LCC (with BONUS section on Adapting JMRI for Feedback)

Let’s Configure a Node – The Beauty of LCC (With a bonus section on connecting LCC to PanelPro)

LCC and Wiring Continues