Staging Benchwork Complete! - Elevation Check - Dispatcher's Door

Work is progressing on the benchwork, albeit slower than desired.  Major milestone reached is the lower (staging) benchwork is COMPLETE!!!!  Very excited about that.  Nice to see what it will look like, at least with respect to the amount of space it needs and the elevation.  Super excited that there is ROOM TO WALK ABOUT!  The phase 2 expansion was an exercise in how much ops I could cram into the available space. Now there actually is enough room to leave generous aisles for human beings - what a concept!  I suppose I could have packed more in, but frankly, that means more maintenance, more cost in building, and really, it's a good balance for me.  I don't want to be a slave to my hobby!




So now that the benchwork defines the horizontal space, I started playing with the vertical spacing between the main deck and the upper.  Sure, it all works OK in the CAD file, but what does it really look like in reality.

On Phase 2, I had the main at 47" and the upper at 66".  66" is way, WAY too much.  But I really have never liked lower decks in the "30's" as I feel it looses it's realism and perspective.  Even the low 40's is too low for my liking.  Ideally I like 50"... but this is too high to really allow a deck above, to-wit the Phase 2 66" fiasco.  SO.... settled in on 46" for the main deck and putting the upper at 60".  60" is still a bit high for many folks.  That said, this upper deck is mostly about passing through - there will not be any ops here, save for a siding and an interlocking to select going down to the lower deck or up to the Phase 2 66" area, otherwise known as Black Water Falls (strategically located under my daughter's toilet).  I think it'll work.  Mocking it up, it looks OK.  That said, I am concerned the upper deck invades too much of the space underneath.  Always a trade-off, huh?  I'm going to leave it there for a few days and let it marinate.  Comments/input is welcome!




Finally, just a matter of documentation, but got the dispatcher's door stained and varnished.  Looks kinda nice.  With the staging benchwork in, the access through the "hall" has been cut off.  Oh well; that's the way it's going to be run, so might as well get used to it.




That's all for now.  

Comments

  1. Detlef, I had lost the link to your blog - glad to have it again. Progress is looking good. Can't wait for ops! Wider aisles will be appreciated!
    Dave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. Ready to see some wheels turning - either on the GNW or the CR&P (https://craprail.wordpress.com/)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Push-buttons for Turnout Control in LCC (with BONUS section on Adapting JMRI for Feedback)

Let’s Configure a Node – The Beauty of LCC (With a bonus section on connecting LCC to PanelPro)

LCC and Wiring Continues