KINKS! And Thomas...

Quick update on the GNW.  Work continues and making good progress.  Except for trackwork.  I had installed all the track with every other piece of flex track soldered, and a small (1/16"to 1/8") gap between the non-soldered tracks for expansion.  I figured this would be more than enough to accommodate thermal expansion as well as the swell and shrink of the benchwork.  I was wrong!
What was a straight staging yard

SO had to go through essentially all the trackwork and recut new gaps.  Here is a pic that shows how much the benchwork had shrunk over the last few months as the wood dried out.  Keep in mind this is in addition to the gap that was there.

Amazing amount of shrinkage, especially considering this was for at most 10', probably closer to 6' of track.

Took care of maybe 20 or so kinks and all is well now.

With the main loop running, the railroad is seeing more visitors.  Of course, they would like to run a train.  So without further adieu, please help me in welcoming Thomas, along with Annie and Clarabel, the GNW's official host train!





Comments

  1. Greetings,

    I’m planning my LCC implementation now on a new layout. I would be grateful if you clarify some points for me.

    Did you run all of your track power feeders back to the terminal blocks by your LCC card nodes? Was this done instead of using a bus with track feeders connected directly to the bus with connectors or soldered? If the former, did you have any issues with track power drop off from having long feeders?

    Thanks, Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kent,

    Yes, ran all the feeders back to TBs by the LCC nodes. A couple reasons:

    - With multiple track feeds within any block (I generally have at least 2 pair; most have 3-4 pair), trying to find a way to measure the current becomes more complicated. It is just easier to measure the current through a CT at the TB rather than at the individual track feeder(s). Besides, how would I do that anyway? Say if I had 2 pair, I'd still have to come off the bus at a single point more or less, and then thread both feeders through a CT.

    - Add to that I had my fill of crawling under the layout. Pulling the feeders and tying to individual bus wires with quick connects is pretty fast and painless. That leaves all the interconnecting and CT wiring where I can easily get to it.

    I have not seen any issues with voltage drops. I probably will get sneers from saying this, but I ran 14AWG from the boosters to the TBs, then 16AWG from the TBs to the blocks; 22 AWG track feeders. I like running 2-3 diesel MU trains and have not had any issues. Think about it this way: 16AWG will have something like 10% voltage drop across 15' at 5A. 5A of locomotives is pretty serious. Say I have 3 units at maybe 1/2A each... so 1.5A across 15' in 16 AWG, my v-drop calculator shows 0.18V drop, or 1.29%. I just don't see the need to put more money into copper if that is all that will happen. Even if I double it, 3A across 15' in 16AWG will have 2.5% v-drop or 0.36V. Like I say, some will say run at least 12AWG or 14 AWG from the boosters, and then use 14AWG for the bus leads. Very nice and robust. I just cannot justify it.

    Regards,

    Detlef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Detlef,

    You will have no sneers from me. I like your idea and want to implement something similar. It's reassuring to know it works. I'm at the age where rolling around on the floor is no longer appealing. Your video and website have come at a perfect time. Your research and thorough explanations are fantastic. Please keep sharing your experience and knowledge.

    Thanks,

    Kent McBee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how to reach you privately. May I use a couple of screen grabs from your LCC video for my documentation and in asking some wiring questions to Dick Bronson?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Push-buttons for Turnout Control in LCC (with BONUS section on Adapting JMRI for Feedback)

Let’s Configure a Node – The Beauty of LCC (With a bonus section on connecting LCC to PanelPro)

LCC and Wiring Continues